Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended rear axle support stand for FZR 1000?
The FZR Forum > The Garage > FZR1000
kalikiano
Like a dumb s**t, I fell for the advertising spiel at NORTHERN TOOL that stated their rear axle support stand 'fits most modern sportsbikes' and didn't check to see if the actual width of the stand would fit my 1991 Fizzer's swing-arm assembly. Predictably, it did not mad2.gif , once the stand arrived, although the $35 loss is certainly not going to sink my financial ship. Anyone have a recommendation for a really GOOD, affordable rear axle support stand for a 1991 FZR 1000 that is well-designed and easy to use? Mahalo for any suggestions! -Kailikiano thumbup.gif
OBrien
Pit Bull makes an adjustable padded rear stand that requires no spools. It lists for around $130. I've been looking at them online here today as I'm also in the market for a decent rear stand. Just not sure if there is any issues with respect to chain clearance on the FZR 1000. The pic produced by Pit Bull online looks to be very close to the chain IMO. Hopefully someone that owns one will chime in and give us a heads up on the fitment or a suitable recommendation. I prefer not to install spools on mine and am looking for a pad type rear stand.
Commander_Chaos
I have one of these from harbor freight and it fits my FZR fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-sw...tand-65620.html

My only gripe about it is that it doesn't have quite enough leverage to lift the bike easily with one hand. Plenty strong, though.

They also have an aluminum one that's totally worthless. It doesn't fit anything and would be too weak to support a motorcycle if it did.
OBrien
QUOTE (Commander_Chaos @ Nov 3 2011, 03:16 PM) *

My only gripe about it is that it doesn't have quite enough leverage to lift the bike easily with one hand. Plenty strong, though.

They also have an aluminum one that's totally worthless. It doesn't fit anything and would be too weak to support a motorcycle if it did.

That definately looks like something I'd be interested in. Two questions: 1) Do the vinyl dipped arms pivot while lifting? and 2) Does it afford adequate chain clearance for neutral rotation of the wheel?

There is a Harbor Freight here in town and if it'll work I'm buying me one.
kalikiano
QUOTE (Commander_Chaos @ Nov 3 2011, 01:16 PM) *

Thanks for that tip. Harbor has a local outlet. I'll check to see if they carry it in stock. If it fits yours, it will certainly fit mine.
Cheers, -K thumbup.gif
kalikiano
QUOTE (Commander_Chaos @ Nov 3 2011, 12:16 PM) *

Following your lead on this, I bought one of those this past weekend at Harbor Freight (Sacramento retail outlet is at 5051 Fruitridge, I seem to recall) and it's perfect; also plenty reasonable and sturdy. Works well on my Fizzer! I looked at the aluminum one you mentioned while I was in the store, but it seems to be intended for swing-arm spool use and the FZR (at least my 91 model) doesn't have spool bolt recepticles (don't want to tap & die the swing-arm to take them!). As you (also) observed, it also looks a bit flimsy.

By the way, I found out that that 'Takedown Motorcycle Support Stand' (Northern Tool part # 148014-1201) offered by Northern Tool that I originally bought is actually a FRONT axle support, from the looks of things, and NOT a rear swing-arm axle support at all! Looks like some dummy who prepared the Northern Tool Fall Master Catalogue bungled the description (obviously not a cycle rider). As erstwhile proof of this, they also have what looks like a rear axle support stand described as 'Front Wheel Motorcycle Stand' (part # 145015-1201). At any rate, I now have both a front and rear support stand, since their 'rear' stand works perfectly on my front axle!

Naturally, use of a rear swing-arm stand like this requires two people but I note there's also a nice rear support stand unit that bolts to the swing-arm pivot point on both sides offered by an outfit in Canada. Can't think of the name of the company that makes it, but I spotted it on eBay (while searching "Yamaha FZR 1000"). It can be attached while the bike is leaning on its side stand and then actuated by one person sitting on the bike's saddle. Looks very sturdy and also easy to use. Since it bolts to the swing-arm pivot points (bilaterally), it doesn't damage the swing-arm's metal finish.

Mahalos, hoaloa ("Thanks, friend"). -K thumbup.gif

kalikiano
QUOTE (kalikiano @ Nov 7 2011, 03:38 PM) *
Naturally, use of a rear swing-arm stand like this requires two people but I note there's also a nice rear support stand unit that bolts to the swing-arm pivot point on both sides offered by an outfit in Canada. Can't think of the name of the company that makes it, but I spotted it on eBay (while searching "Yamaha FZR 1000"). It can be attached while the bike is leaning on its side stand and then actuated by one person sitting on the bike's saddle. Looks very sturdy and also easy to use. Since it bolts to the swing-arm pivot points (bilaterally), it doesn't damage the swing-arm's metal finish.

Mahalos, hoaloa ("Thanks, friend"). -K thumbup.gif

I just remembered that Canadian company's name that produces the Superbike support stand mentioned above. It's the ABBA Superbike Stand manufactured & produced by Blue Streak Racing in Ontario Canada. You can find the eBay item entry here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABBA-SUPERBIKE-STA...=item2eb890f5e6

And Blue Streak Racing's website here: http://www.bluestreakracing.ca

OBrien
Bought me one of those Harbor Freight rear stands.On sale. Best $25 I ever spent. Oh and , the pads do swivel. Easy adjustable fit and lift on my 92' fizzer. Thanks for the heads up Commander_Chaos. thumbup.gif
MR BACKHAND
Picked up the harbor freight stand for 31
Out the door with a free flashlight . I used
A20% off coupon and a free flashlight
Coupon. I have so many flashlight screwdriver sets
And 25 ft tape measures all using the coupons
I get from my magazines smile.gif I highly reccomend
This stand works great for my 94 1000.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.