Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Main Fuse Melted...
The FZR Forum > The Garage > FZR1000
dan83590
Over the last couple of days I have had an intermittent problem switching the ignition. I have traced it back to the fuse box and the main fuse. The plastic around the fuse had began to melt. The actual fuse is okay but something has caused it to get so hot it started to melt. I replaced the fuse and the ignition comes on as it should.

What could cause this?

Could a bad connection at the connector off the battery cause the circuit to heat up?

Also in the past the main red cable and its connector melted so I had to replace them, is it all related?

Could be be that the loom is just getting beyond usable, after all it was made in 1991?
rotortech
If the fuse is still good then you don't have a big short to ground. I think you have a dirty/corroded connection at the hot spot. If it is bolted, take it apart and clean the metal surfaces until they are shiny then bolt it back together. If there is a big connector then you have to clean the connector components to get rid of corrosion or dirt.

Good Luck.
dan83590
Its the plastic connector off the battery positive side. When I wiggled it the ignition came alive. Have smeared a little copper grease on the connections for now. I think I'll replace the whole connector at some point.
rotortech
QUOTE (dan83590 @ Oct 13 2011, 03:17 AM) *
Its the plastic connector off the battery positive side. When I wiggled it the ignition came alive. Have smeared a little copper grease on the connections for now. I think I'll replace the whole connector at some point.

ASAP
dan83590
Ah, okay.

The fuse is 30 amp, so the connector needs a higher rating, right? 40 amp?
rotortech
You should be able to find the exact connector and terminals at either
Eastern Beaver or Rick's Motorsport Electrics There are a couple of other good sources out there as well.

Just get the correct one and then you will know it is rated properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.