Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Airbox fabrication for 3TJ ..
The FZR Forum > The Garage > FZR Hybrids
canflyboy
I'm trying to figure out this airbox issue..I've got UNI Pod filters on at the moment, but my worry is that I'll have to tune it quite rich and she'll just eat gas. What Airbox should I use with the 400RRSP tank and frame? I've got a 95 YZF airbox lined up already, but not sure if I should go with a FZR and which would require the least amount of trimming?

I seen some write ups on here..did some research..but couldn't find anything where the stock FZR400RR tank was kept...

Your advice is much appreciated, spring is almost here! wink.gif

Ken
hydrota
I cut a rectangle around the yzf holes and threw the rest away, then got my stock 400 airbox and riveted and glued the yzf to that , It was cut out to recieve it, i had to move them frontward or back an inch or so , cant remember, .. i also cut the snorkel off the top and left just a ring to hold the filter, ordered a factory pro carb jet kit and it runs fine by using there directions and i didnt have to tune anything.
canflyboy
QUOTE (hydrota @ Mar 23 2008, 12:39 AM) *
I cut a rectangle around the yzf holes and threw the rest away, then got my stock 400 airbox and riveted and glued the yzf to that , It was cut out to recieve it, i had to move them frontward or back an inch or so , cant remember, .. i also cut the snorkel off the top and left just a ring to hold the filter, ordered a factory pro carb jet kit and it runs fine by using there directions and i didnt have to tune anything.

Thanks, trying to gather some information before I buy the parts and find out the hard way...if only I could find a 400 airbox.....I know I can find a FZR600 airbox, are they very different?....I can buy both the 95 YZF airbox and a FZR600 box quite easily, it's the 400's that are hard to find...
BMiller
QUOTE (canflyboy @ Mar 23 2008, 10:28 PM) *
Thanks, trying to gather some information before I buy the parts and find out the hard way...if only I could find a 400 airbox.....I know I can find a FZR600 airbox, are they very different?....I can buy both the 95 YZF airbox and a FZR600 box quite easily, it's the 400's that are hard to find...

Ken,

He has the 1WG tank cover though, you actually have the 3TJ tank. I would think you can get that '95 YZF airbox and hack it........the same way I did on my first 1WG with a YZF engine and YZF tank. nynoah had some good pics up of the job he did on his.

Billy
canflyboy
QUOTE (BMiller @ Mar 25 2008, 11:49 AM) *
Ken,

He has the 1WG tank cover though, you actually have the 3TJ tank. I would think you can get that '95 YZF airbox and hack it........the same way I did on my first 1WG with a YZF engine and YZF tank. nynoah had some good pics up of the job he did on his.

Billy

Sweet, thanks Billy boy! I actually bought a 95 YZF Airbox and 89 FZR Airbox(the guy said it was 13 inches in width and that's right on for the 3TJ, so figure its roughtly the same frame width..) off of ebay and plan to make one work out of those two..I'll post to let everyone know how it turns out. Check your email, sent you some pics wink.gif

Ken
canflyboy
Well..I've gotten started on the "Custom" Airbox for this FZR Hybrid of mine..this is what I've done so far with fibreglass, other than hack up a perfectly good 95 YZF airbox and 89 FZR600 airbox!...

Trying to figure out where to go from here.. I'm thinking for simplicity's sake, I'm going to make a shell that will fit, then modify it with a port and filter..

more to follow.. biggrin.gif
JDM ALan
I was thinking of doing the same with a YZF tank. Make a custom glass fiber air box.

JDM ALan
canflyboy
QUOTE (JDM ALan @ Apr 24 2008, 05:27 PM) *
I was thinking of doing the same with a YZF tank. Make a custom glass fiber air box.

JDM ALan

Yea.. I'm sure there's more of a science to it than I'm doing. If figure I'll make a big post on this in case anyone else wants to do one..not that my ways the best way! I apologize if this gets long..

Keeping air box design in mind, I used the following formula:

(Airbox*Freq)^2 is proportional to (Inlet pipe area) / (airbox volume * inlet length)

So given that,

(Inlet Pipe Area) / (Volume * inlet length) YZF = (Inlet Pipe Area) / (Volume * inlet length) FZR Custom

I made the volume as big as I could fit under the tank where I actually acheived a volume that's roughly 100 in^3 larger than the YZF. So then to make all things equal, I played with the inlet pipe area and length to hopefully acheive the same airbox frequency the YZF would have had. wink.gif

After trimming the airbox, I used packing tape on a cardboard mold to make the inlet pipe:

Then I used again, cardboard and packing tape to make a mold for the base:

Then fibreglassed the two together, lined the inside with Black Truck bed liner (flexible and hard..primer not required)

Then after a shitload more fibreglassing, I used the base of the 95 YZF box as a stencil for the holes (double checked this a half a dozen times) and used a 2 1/8" hole saw to cut them out..then just widened them a bit more with sandpaper

Used the YZF boots and mounted the airbox to discover it fit! Lined the bottom with Dynamat (rubber / aluminum foil) for heat resistance

Here's the side profile:

And from the bottom where I have to lengthen the port now and figure a way to add an external filter..

It turned out well, fits great and is 1/3rd the weight of the stock airbox. Weighs next to nothing, I prob have about 3 layers of fibreglass matting on average around the whole thing. I haven't run it yet though will post the results..

This is a sealed box (to keep things simple) that I'm going to rig a filter to the end of the port..my plan is to extend the port obviously, as I need more length anyhow to get the proper airbox frequency. But, I also want to attach a filter to the end of it..Any ideas or suggs on how to do this? I took some pictures. I thought about possibly have it transition to a round diameter and fit a pod filter..

More to follow..

Beers,

Ken
China_Racer_1
Dude, Your like.. Doctor Dimento of the fiberglass world. laugh.gif

Thats fucken Tite bro!

And it fit first try, ya got to love that.

Yeah tell us what she runs like with her on.

My track bikes got Vilocity stacks but the FZR-400 trainer bike is an 3EN model with the intake tubes so I think it needs a box so I might just follow your lead.
sweekster
Awesome work. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed and functional result- which i have a feeling is not that far away at this point. thumbup.gif
_faramir
that's freaking admirable.
pefrey
I'm impressed with your creativity and that you went ahead and tried something.

Did you think about a drain hole for the airbox in case it gets water inside?
cds00bsmg
pretty sure someone on here took their 400 air box and hacked it to adapt a 600 airbox inlet setction to it not too long ago.....
Dr Rockso
awesome work man , if the top of your new box is flat enough couldn't you just take an old 600 air box and cut out the circle on the top that the air box lid screws down to and bolt it to your fiberglass airbox ? then it would still opperate like the stocker .
barryfzr
Hey thats some good work there ;o)

heres stuff i did .... still not 100% happy with it though ;o)

http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?s...c=33429&hl=
canflyboy
Thanks for complements and posts, It was quite a bit of work and I had to go away quite a few times with work so that caused a delay..but I def had fun doing it

QUOTE (pefrey @ Apr 29 2008, 11:29 AM) *
I'm impressed with your creativity and that you went ahead and tried something.

Did you think about a drain hole for the airbox in case it gets water inside?

I hadn't drilled one yet actually, I will drill a couple of small ones tho

QUOTE (Dr Rockso @ Apr 30 2008, 12:08 PM) *
awesome work man , if the top of your new box is flat enough couldn't you just take an old 600 air box and cut out the circle on the top that the air box lid screws down to and bolt it to your fiberglass airbox ? then it would still opperate like the stocker .

The reason I didn't adapt the old airbox port and top to this one, mainly was to maximise my volume. Since the carbs stick up so high, I had to get creative and this worked well. I suppose you could, but from experience, fibreglass is hard to get to (Stay) stuck to Plastic....so this box is entirely fibreglass.

Here is the finished product, so to speak...

Finished product mounted:

Wired a cut up dirt bike uni filter to end of the port (4" x 1" and 5 5/8" long into the box)..

And here's proof that the tank fits! wink.gif :

I'm also fitting a RS-3 Yosh can with Zyclone baffle to the bike this afternoon.. it's for a 95 GSXR600, but I'm going to fit the muffler anyhow since I can't find a "Zyclone" RS-3 for a YZF600..

As for the Results, the bike has much stronger low end now then it did with the pods and climbs up to 7000rpm briskly..the bike does need a jet kit though, which I've put on order (Factory Pro TI 1.1) so I'll be able to speak more to the box then....more to follow......

Ken
canflyboy
Glad to see this forum is back up and running wink.gif

Here's the Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon "Zyclone" can installed.. (Sold the D&D Show N Go on Ebay)

Much happier with the sound of this "Zyclone" RS-3 ..the perfect balance in my mind. Very tight sounding, throaty, I'd say 3db louder than stock..(that's by ear, not tested)

And another look at the undertail I made out of 1/16" Aluminum Plate..

I'm installing a Factory Jet kit as we speak..I've got 97 Carbs on a 95 Motor.

I find its running too rich so I'm going to pull the 155 Mains out of it and replace them with 150's...and install the Titanium needles at the 2nd clip position to start with....
Dru86
Try going way smaller than 150s as you don't have ram air that's way to big. With my 660 running 97 yzf600 carbs with a modified fzr600 airbox I'm using 116s, it would hardly rev above 7k when it had the 150s in there. When we put it on the dyno the A/F was 8:1 or so we then went way smaller on the jets and the power pretty much doubled. The earlier yzf600s that didn't have ram air used 112s or around there.
canflyboy
QUOTE (Dru86 @ May 19 2008, 04:08 AM) *
Try going way smaller than 150s as you don't have ram air that's way to big. With my 660 running 97 yzf600 carbs with a modified fzr600 airbox I'm using 116s, it would hardly rev above 7k when it had the 150s in there. When we put it on the dyno the A/F was 8:1 or so we then went way smaller on the jets and the power pretty much doubled. The earlier yzf600s that didn't have ram air used 112s or around there.

Right you are..just after I made that post I said to myself, I wonder what that extra set of 95 carbs I picked up off ebay has in 'em..previously, I was too lazy to swap them......and sure enough it had a factory jet kit in them!! I also clued in when I saw it had 108 main jets (I think they're mikuni..? as they don't say Keihin on them or have a "k", they just say 108 and they're solid brass..anyone?)

So, then I cleaned the whole set up, adjusted the needles and stuck them on the bike and wow..big difference, even though it will need some more tuning (bigger main jets I think and so on)

The setup now is:

95 YZF600 Motor & electrics
Custom-made Fiberglass Airbox, with Uni filter
D&D Headers & Midpipe
RS-3 Zyclone Can
97 Fuel Pump
95 Carbs (97 was removed)
-108 Mains all across (all I had for now)
-Factory jet kit needles at #3 position (We're at #4..I thought that would be too rich though)
-Float heights were all at 23mm
-I didn't check air screw settings..

Not sure what some of you are using for your settings? Any similar setups?

The RPM hangs a little before descending down to idle, and bogs a bit around 4000rpm..and something going on around 6-7k rpm..but today was an 8C day, so I'll have to test her on a warm day too..

Factory Pro suggests to always start with the mains, so I think I'll run down to the Yami dealer and get a set of 110's and 112's..or 112's first? They're easy enough to swap out on the bike..

Appreciate the help eh, any suggs are welcome

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.