Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Some Help On FZR 600 Mods
The FZR Forum > The Garage > The Body Shop
campbm39
Hey everyone, well I bought a 1998 FZR 600 about a month ago. The day I bought it I got on google and looked for an FZR 600 forums and couldn't find anything. For some reason I joined a Kawasaki forum and they were pretty nice but I finally found this forum and think this one will be much better. Anyways, back to my bike its a 1998 FZR 600 I bought with 9,000 miles for $1800. I have a few started questions about my bike;

1) Did I get a good deal? I looked up the Nada and from what I can tell it seems like a sweet deal

2) My title (which Im going to frame because I love my bike and maybe hang in my garage) just says that the model is "FZR". From what I have come to understand is that I have a 1998 FZR 600R is this rght?

3) Whats the diffrence between my bike and an r6? Was my bike ever called an r6? Are there YZF r6 and FZR r6?

4) What do stage kits do?

Now on to my post. I'm trying to find a tail mod for my 600 and need some advice/help.

1) Im probably going to look on ebay or craigslist to try and find a good tail section. If I get an r1 tail section what exactly do I need? For instance, my fzr has two plastic fairing that snap onto the frame in the rear to make the tail section. What do I need to make a complete r1 (or whatever model tail I decide on) tail?

2) What makes/models should I look at when trying to find a tail section I want? Just throw some suggestions at me and I will check them all out. I've been looking at the fzr tail mods that other people have done here and they all just look way too cool to decide on one sad.gif What are the best models that don't require a new seat. I don't mind losing the passenger seat but I dont want to have to pay extra money for a new seat when I have teh current one.

3) When I do decide on the make and model of the tail I want will i have to do any fabrications? I would like to be able to find teh simplest tail conversion that looks the best.

Thanks for all of the help, I know its a lot but I really appreciate it. I added some pictures I took of my bike.

My bike when I first got it

More of when I first got it

After I have had my bike and done all of my mods

The current stock tail section

Thanks for helping everyone from the little time I have been on this forum it seems great!

My Amazing List Of Mods I Have Done
- Relocation of license plate. New location, under tail section.
- Ducati Style Mirrors
- Replaced Handle Bar Grips
- High Performance oil filter (When I replaced the oil myself)
- Custom Decal Removal (Took the sticker off the back of my bike)
- Custom Motorcycle Detail (Ya, thats right I cleaned my bike)
ragedigital
QUOTE (campbm39 @ Oct 26 2007, 09:16 AM) *
1) Did I get a good deal? I looked up the Nada and from what I can tell it seems like a sweet deal

I'd say the price was fair. It's always hard to tell what is included with 9,000 miles. Just take care of the basics right away (oil change, air filter, etc...)

2) My title (which Im going to frame because I love my bike and maybe hang in my garage) just says that the model is "FZR". From what I have come to understand is that I have a 1998 FZR 600R is this rght?

Yes, it is - a 600R. That means you're ready for the race track... nothing else needed. Watch out R1s! Just kidding. Must have been a marketing gimmick. After 93, IIRC, they added the "R".

3) Whats the diffrence between my bike and an r6? Was my bike ever called an r6? Are there YZF r6 and FZR r6?

Difference is abut 30-35hp, a better suspension, more adjustability and a lighter chassis. Nope, no FZR-R6, a YZF-R6 - yes...

4) What do stage kits do?

Allow better adjustability to the fuel intake system. Also, allows you to add different air intake mechanisms, such as pod air filters.
ragedigital
1) Im probably going to look on ebay or craigslist to try and find a good tail section. If I get an r1 tail section what exactly do I need? For instance, my fzr has two plastic fairing that snap onto the frame in the rear to make the tail section. What do I need to make a complete r1 (or whatever model tail I decide on) tail?

R6 Tail Conversion

2) What makes/models should I look at when trying to find a tail section I want? Just throw some suggestions at me and I will check them all out. I've been looking at the fzr tail mods that other people have done here and they all just look way too cool to decide on one sad.gif What are the best models that don't require a new seat. I don't mind losing the passenger seat but I dont want to have to pay extra money for a new seat when I have teh current one.

Do a search, there are planty of people on here posting the same thing... a lot of threads to help you out.

3) When I do decide on the make and model of the tail I want will i have to do any fabrications? I would like to be able to find teh simplest tail conversion that looks the best.

Simplest conversion is the Airtech R1 Tail. Doesn't look the best (unmodded), but is the easiest IMO. There are also modded versions out there, like this:

Modded Airtech R1 Tail
campbm39
QUOTE (ragedigital @ Oct 26 2007, 09:50 AM) *
R6 Tail Conversion
Do a search, there are planty of people on here posting the same thing... a lot of threads to help you out.
Simplest conversion is the Airtech R1 Tail. Doesn't look the best (unmodded), but is the easiest IMO. There are also modded versions out there, like this:

Modded Airtech R1 Tail

Wow, thank you so much for all of the info this answers a lot of my questions. I checked out the AirTech site and I'm starting to get an understanding of how all of this works. I just had a few questions,

1) I see people selling r6 "plastics" on craigslist and ebay for pretty cheap. Wouldn't it be a better idea to buy the tail section from a place like that and just fabricate something to connect it to your frame? I guess you would have to fabricate something to house the tail light as well but it seems simple enough.

Is that a good idea or should I just spent the $200 to buy the correct conversion kit for my bike? Im just wondering why someone is selling an r6 tail plastic on crigslist for $50 and why I should pay the extra $150
ragedigital
QUOTE (campbm39 @ Oct 26 2007, 10:29 AM) *
1) I see people selling r6 "plastics" on craigslist and ebay for pretty cheap. Wouldn't it be a better idea to buy the tail section from a place like that and just fabricate something to connect it to your frame? I guess you would have to fabricate something to house the tail light as well but it seems simple enough.

You can buy the undertail and matching light to fit the R6 tail. The light cost and undertail ran me around $70. I modified them to an airtech tail, because I wanted to keep the stock gas tank and stock seat.

QUOTE (campbm39 @ Oct 26 2007, 10:29 AM) *
Is that a good idea or should I just spent the $200 to buy the correct conversion kit for my bike? Im just wondering why someone is selling an r6 tail plastic on crigslist for $50 and why I should pay the extra $150

It all depends on how much work you want to put into it. The Airtech tails are just a couple chops away.

The R6 tail requires new seats and a new gas tank (YZF) to make it fit better.

I found an Airtech tail on eBay for $100. If you can wait it out, people are selling them frequently.
campbm39
QUOTE (ragedigital @ Oct 26 2007, 10:36 AM) *
You can buy the undertail and matching light to fit the R6 tail. The light cost and undertail ran me around $70. I modified them to an airtech tail, because I wanted to keep the stock gas tank and stock seat.
It all depends on how much work you want to put into it. The Airtech tails are just a couple chops away.

The R6 tail requires new seats and a new gas tank (YZF) to make it fit better.

I found an Airtech tail on eBay for $100. If you can wait it out, people are selling them frequently.

So there is no way I can fabricate a stock r6 tail to fit with my stock fzr seat and tank?
ragedigital
I do believe you can keep the tank, but you have the use the R6 seats.
yammyha
The R6 tail is wider then the FZR's so If you use the Fzr seat you will have big holes next to it. If you want to go the cheaper route I would go with the Airtech. I know $200 seems like alot for the tail compaired to $50 for the R6, but the R6 you have to get the two seats the undertail, tail lights, and the right tools, such as grinders and dremils. I am in the middle of doing the R6 and I now have to pay some dude $100 just to do the welding of the mounting points and the rear set supports. So I will have put almost $400 into it. I cant weld. I could have bought two airteck tails for that much. good luck!!
mike916
Whats going on with your exhaust? unsure.gif
billy_awesome
ahh cmon people, tell him about my tail LOL

http://xs118.xs.to/xs118/07343/rearsets1.jpg

The airtech basically fits right in there and you don't need a yzf tank or seat to go with it, I had modking do my undertail just because he's good and i'm not.

You got a pretty decent deal I'd say even though I don't know how much bikes go in your area for.

Welcome to the clan, you're hooked now.

Stage kits depend on what intake and exhaust options you go with, they say stage 1 kit goes with a slip-on. But you will be okay with stock jetting. Stage 3 kit is for a full system which is pods, and FULL aftermarket exhaust. The power is amazing and you can gain 10-15 plus horsepower!
campbm39
Thanks for everyones input but someone must have revived this post because it was from A LONG time ago. I decided to take a diffrent approach with updating the look of my bike. With school and work and everything over the holidays I haven't been able to get hardly any work done on it. I have posted some pictures before but I might as well throw some more up.

Heres a picture of it with the new seat that came today!

And as you can see, all is not well. I will have to do some fiber glass work since I haven't boughten a cbr 600rr tank

I can still get gas but it doesn't look very good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.