post Aug 3 2012, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Novice
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 16495
Time Spent On Forums:
0d 18h 48m 21s

Hi! In a couple of weeks, I want to change my oil, spark plugs and oil+air filter. Anyone know how much oil is needed? (I can't seem to locate the oil level window on the engine). Also, which type and grade of oil, would be nice to know before buying.
I need to know which spark plugs, oil and air filters would fit. A K/N air filter would be nice.

I will buy everything from ebay.co.uk (probably only a british seller due to shipping time). The oil will be bought from a local seller where I live (Norway shocker.gif ).

Any help will be appreciated! yes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VikingRider
post Aug 3 2012, 07:37 AM
Post #2

Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 14584
Time Spent On Forums:
3d 3h 22m 16s

QUOTE (alejoh90 @ Aug 3 2012, 02:14 PM) *
Hi! In a couple of weeks, I want to change my oil, spark plugs and oil+air filter. Anyone know how much oil is needed? (I can't seem to locate the oil level window on the engine). Also, which type and grade of oil, would be nice to know before buying.
I need to know which spark plugs, oil and air filters would fit. A K/N air filter would be nice.

I will buy everything from ebay.co.uk (probably only a british seller due to shipping time). The oil will be bought from a local seller where I live (Norway shocker.gif ).

Any help will be appreciated! yes.gif

Derp, hi fellow countryman.

I used 20/50w mineral on my 90 FZR1000, dropped the oil consumption a whole ton compared to using 10/40 synthethic as some shop recommended me to. Cheaper too!

I used Castrol.

FZR's should have 20/50, so sayeth the manual at least, dont quote me though, but I am 98% sure biggrin.gif

Level window is on your right side, through a opening in your cowl, pretty low, bike should be standing straight up, if you can see oil at the middle of the glass or above, ur fine. (but not too much!)

Pr0 tip, the oil light will glow when theres too little oil, not by low pressure!, drive home and fill it up, if it works!

http://suzume.yu-nagi.com/sd_fzr.htm

I'd purchase 4 liters, then u have to top up with as you burn some along the road until the next oilchange.

Change filter and fill 3 liters, from here on your raise the bike up to a straight stand and measure, fill some more, measure, fill some more until it covers the glass, then ur cool, but you know this.

Start the bike, let it run a little then stop it. measure again in 5 minutes, you gotta let the engine fill the oilfilter to get an actual reading.

I used NGK spark plugs and original air filter, the K&N filters alone is just so you can brag about it really, for any effect u probably have to add a aftermarket exhaust, dynojet the carbs and so on.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but if you add pod filters I think you have to adjust your carbs, wich isn't super attractive for a tiny bit more sound and 1hp more for a fuckton of fuel consumption biggrin.gif Get an aftermarket exhaust, I got one from Pipe Werx (search youtube) these pipes are really really loud with the baffle removed and if you drive casually they sound "normally" aggressive, I was very statisfied!

Get the stuff from local dealers my man, these small things often don't justify the freight cost and/or toll charges you may receive, if ur into buying many parts or expensive parts, go Ebay for sure! I overhauled p.much my entire bike with ebay parts and probably saved myself 15.000 NOK in parts and labour. (Valveshims, aftermarket exhaust, new clutch w/parts, ignition lock w/keys, foot pegs, chain & sprockets, both front brake discs w/pads, rear brake pads, plugs, filters bla bla bla list goes on forever)

Gl brother!

This post has been edited by VikingRider: Aug 3 2012, 07:42 AM

--------------------
00 YZF1000R Thunderace
(x)90 FZR 1000
(x) 02 WR360
(x) 90 FZR 600

+Quote Post
Tiger
post Aug 3 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #3

Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 15596
Time Spent On Forums:
2d 18h 56m 28s

Hi Derp

Viking offers good advice, a good quality 20W-50 mineral oil is fine, genuine Yam oil filters are not expensive and quality is pretty much guaranteed, I have not measured filters but the std '89 / '88 item looks very much like the old Z1000 Kawa/GSX750 through GSX1100 [and many other bikes] filter, there are some pretty ordinary quality cheap charlie aftermarket filters on the market.

Same deal with air filters IMO.

Look for high zinc and phosphorous content in your oil, avoid "shallow" multigrades like 15W-30 and the like, the right oil is kind to your cam lobes and we have a lot of cam lobes.

Shallow viscosity range oil without ZDDP is "thought" to be easy on catalytic converters and therefore the planet will be saved, your irreplaceable cams may be a casualty.

Spend a couple of hrs and search the site, excellent information from blokes who have lived with the FZR for years, I have not.

This post has been edited by Tiger: Aug 4 2012, 02:03 AM

+Quote Post
apsolus
post Aug 4 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 10291
Time Spent On Forums:
25d 7h 30m 3s

I own an 87 so I got ur back! I used ngk xp8ea-9 sparkplugs.using a socket,3 inch extension and ratchet you can get em out without removing the radiator. Just remove the side fairings. I use a kn filter I got off eBay. Can't remember what part number it was just do a search and you will find it. According to my manual the UK bike will take 3 liters of 20-40. That's what I've been using. I run regular car oil no fancy oil for me. Oil filter is either dealer or bike bandit online. Also make sure before u remove the plugs that all dirt is out, wouldn't want dirt falling into the engine or damaging the treads!

This post has been edited by apsolus: Aug 4 2012, 11:39 AM

--------------------
have:
88 yamaha fzr 1000
87 honda super magna 700
08 yamaha star 250

had:
02 yamaha vstar 650
89 yamaha fzr 600
02 kawasaki ninja 600
83 yamaha midnight maxim 750
99 suzuki gz 250

+Quote Post
VikingRider
post Aug 5 2012, 06:14 AM
Post #5

Amateur
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
3d 3h 22m 16s

QUOTE (apsolus @ Aug 4 2012, 07:38 PM) *
I own an 87 so I got ur back! I used ngk xp8ea-9 sparkplugs.using a socket,3 inch extension and ratchet you can get em out without removing the radiator. Just remove the side fairings. I use a kn filter I got off eBay. Can't remember what part number it was just do a search and you will find it. According to my manual the UK bike will take 3 liters of 20-40. That's what I've been using. I run regular car oil no fancy oil for me. Oil filter is either dealer or bike bandit online. Also make sure before u remove the plugs that all dirt is out, wouldn't want dirt falling into the engine or damaging the treads!

better start buying motorcycle oil real fast. "normal" oil doesnt have the additives required for motorcycle clutches and can cause slip/misoperation leading to burning it out, potentially doing some serious damage.

worst case is an exploding clutch, baskets arent super awesome on these as we all know. parts could go into the tranny and ur royally screwed.

doesnt have to be expensive oil brother, just motorcycle oil. for your clutch's sake smile.gif

--------------------
00 YZF1000R Thunderace
(x)90 FZR 1000
(x) 02 WR360
(x) 90 FZR 600

+Quote Post
apsolus
post Aug 5 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #6

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 10291
Time Spent On Forums:
25d 7h 30m 3s

Oil is oil. Ur not gonna tell me otherwise. It's the truth. Stay away from energy conserving oils and ur good. I wish I could explain to you what I know about oil but I'm not gonna sit here and run the battery on my phone down.

--------------------
have:
88 yamaha fzr 1000
87 honda super magna 700
08 yamaha star 250

had:
02 yamaha vstar 650
89 yamaha fzr 600
02 kawasaki ninja 600
83 yamaha midnight maxim 750
99 suzuki gz 250

+Quote Post
VikingRider
post Aug 6 2012, 04:32 AM
Post #7

Amateur
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
3d 3h 22m 16s

QUOTE (apsolus @ Aug 5 2012, 11:19 PM) *
Oil is oil. Ur not gonna tell me otherwise. It's the truth. Stay away from energy conserving oils and ur good. I wish I could explain to you what I know about oil but I'm not gonna sit here and run the battery on my phone down.

By all means smile.gif go ahead.

--------------------
00 YZF1000R Thunderace
(x)90 FZR 1000
(x) 02 WR360
(x) 90 FZR 600

+Quote Post
alejoh90
post Aug 7 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #8

Novice
Group Icon

Member No.: 16495
Time Spent On Forums:
0d 18h 48m 21s

Thank you all! I'm more prepared now:)

+Quote Post
Tiger
post Aug 7 2012, 03:10 AM
Post #9

Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 15596
Time Spent On Forums:
2d 18h 56m 28s

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/169...10%20UPDATE.pdf

Much other information also available from aftermarket cam manufacturers and such.

I agree that you do not need very expensive oil but at [Genesis] 130 BHP from 1000cc you better not run cheap oil and expect the engine to last.

Read the above and if an oil manufacturer cannot or will not confirm ZDDP levels find one that will.

Not being parochial but Penrite does sell in the US and Europe and you can actually call and speak to their Chemist [the most pleasant though intimidatingly brainy] Fiona Luc.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/moto...mium_mineral_15

My oil of choice, mineral and not too expensive.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 07:22 AM