Post #1

Novice
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 14804
Time Spent On Forums:
1d 3h 12m 10s

Hey there

so finally getting the 88 1k back together, however, im racking my brain on how to time this thing, and search/the manual is lacking in definitive answers. Ive got the crank at TDC as per the timing mark in the view hole on the right side of the motor, as well as having cylinder 1 at TDC.

now, how do i time these cams? i see two dots on each of them on the sprockets, are these the timing marks? just want to make sure i get this thing timed properly, dont want all the work i put into it to go to waste b/c of human error, this is the last thing i basically need to do to get it running, just need some insight on how to do it properly

thanks

Pic of TDC mark on cam

Pic of mark on intake cam

Pic of mark on exhaust cam
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
reelrazor
post Feb 26 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #2

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 7153
Time Spent On Forums:
109d 13h 47m 28s

I'm not sure on the 1k, and don't recall, but like on the 600s, the cam timning is indicated on the end of the cam itself-NOT on the cam sprockets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bikerbill2021
post Feb 26 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #3

Novice
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
1d 3h 12m 10s

QUOTE (reelrazor @ Feb 26 2012, 07:17 PM) *
I'm not sure on the 1k, and don't recall, but like on the 600s, the cam timning is indicated on the end of the cam itself-NOT on the cam sprockets.

there is a hole on the end of the last lobe on the right side of each cam shaft, thats the only marking other then that dot on the cam shafts

+Quote Post
DonTZ125
post Feb 26 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #4

Left-handed Torque Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 8780
Time Spent On Forums:
84d 10h 57m 41s

Hi, guys.

According to Ye Officiale Manualle, the cam timing marks are on the sprockets, and are matched to marks on the cam caps. Page from the manual is attached:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Cam_timing.pdf ( 769.58K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?
If the election was held today, 73% of people would be surprised because it wasn't scheduled that way!
Some people are like slinkies - they serve absolutely no purpose except to make you smile as you watch them tumble down the stairs.

TTR Ignition Systems
TCI Repair and Ignition Transistor Upgrade
VRR Adaptor Harness
Running Light Fuse Carrier

+Quote Post
bikerbill2021
post Feb 27 2012, 12:34 AM
Post #5

Novice
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
1d 3h 12m 10s

QUOTE (DonTZ125 @ Feb 26 2012, 09:35 PM) *
Hi, guys.

According to Ye Officiale Manualle, the cam timing marks are on the sprockets, and are matched to marks on the cam caps. Page from the manual is attached:

excellent stuff, i did notice that there were lines on each cap that i thought were just casting marks, but it looks like those are the timing marks. so basically, the dots on the camshafts more or less point straight up when aligned with the caps? are there any other tricks/tips i should know about getting these things back installed/timed?

+Quote Post
rotortech
post Feb 27 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #6

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Admin

Member No.: 10559
Time Spent On Forums:
93d 13h 45m 37s

QUOTE (bikerbill2021 @ Feb 27 2012, 01:34 AM) *
excellent stuff, i did notice that there were lines on each cap that i thought were just casting marks, but it looks like those are the timing marks. so basically, the dots on the camshafts more or less point straight up when aligned with the caps? are there any other tricks/tips i should know about getting these things back installed/timed?

Bill,

Per the book, when you get the cams in and the chain on crank the engine around in the proper direction one or two full revolutions and bring it back to TDC. Check the timing marks again. If they came back where you want them then your are done. If one or both cams are about one tooth off, then do it over and recheck. Sometimes they fall right in and sometimes you have to do it a couple of times to get it right.

--------------------
Read this first then ask questions:
CPR for the FZR

Rotortech
Indianapolis

1994 Yamaha FZR 600 Purchased as project bike Jan 2010
Finished 10 July 2010 My Build Thread with pictures here.

+Quote Post
bikerbill2021
post Feb 27 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #7

Novice
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
1d 3h 12m 10s

QUOTE (rotortech @ Feb 27 2012, 06:31 AM) *
Bill,

Per the book, when you get the cams in and the chain on crank the engine around in the proper direction one or two full revolutions and bring it back to TDC. Check the timing marks again. If they came back where you want them then your are done. If one or both cams are about one tooth off, then do it over and recheck. Sometimes they fall right in and sometimes you have to do it a couple of times to get it right.

cool thanks for the help, ill get em in today and see what happens

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 11:02 AM