post Jan 28 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 13184
Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

I'm starting to build my race bike for this season, and figured I would start my first build thread for it. I'm going to keep track of all the things I'm doing and hopefully it will be entertaining for everyone and maybe someone can even learn something from it.

Right now I have a stripped FZR400 frame. I cleaned it up this morning, and started cleaning up rear suspension parts and the swingarm. Then decided I'll let my friend have it for a few days to give it a little polish smile.gif

Here are pictures of the frame waiting for assembly

I have a deltabox alum swingarm to go on, Honda CBR600 F2 rear wheel with VFR500 sprocket carrier to work out, 2003 R6 forks/wheel, set of Bridgestone slicks still in the wrappers, 2001 YZF600 motor,Kawasaki 636 radiator, sharkskins fiberglass bodywork, and a few other tricks I'm planning on working out.

It should be a good build, hopefully I can update it regularly and enough to keep everyones interest. I plan on trying to make every V7 WERA race in the Mid Atlantic/Northeastern region.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Jan 28 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

A big goal of the build is going to be to keep everything as clean and tidy as possible, and pay attention to the details. Weight savings is another big goal, I have a few nice aluminum replacement pieces, and I plan on making a few more things out of aluminum when I get time.

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Jan 29 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

For comparison, here is about how the bike finished the end of last season. Steel frame/swingarm, tired FZR600 motor, FZR forks. Although I did have a full sharkskins fiberglass bodywork on for the last race, I don't seem to have any pictures of it that way.

This post has been edited by Suprafreak13: Jan 30 2012, 10:55 PM

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Jan 30 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #4

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

I picked up the swingarm from my friend today, it looks sweet!!! I don't have an earlier photo for comparison but it looked bad even after cleaning. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the rear suspension on the frame. Maybe more.

This post has been edited by Suprafreak13: Feb 9 2012, 07:12 AM

+Quote Post
jimraynor21
post Jan 31 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #5

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 10350
Time Spent On Forums:
25d 15h 34m 30s

Sounds sick dude, I hope you do try to make all the races it would be nice to see more familiar faces at Beaver and Nelsons smile.gif

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Feb 1 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #6

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

Got some work done today. Kind of mock assembled the rear end with the Fox TC shock I'll be using and the subframe, trying to work out what size wheel spacers I will need to make to have everything centered and lined up.

I'm also working on replacing the bulky/heavy FZR rear brake caliper, which is actually necessary for the CBR wheel swap. The above picture is using a Honda CR125 brake caliper, and below is using a Honda Superhawk VTR1000F caliper. Same 20mm axle as the CBR600 F2 wheel I'm using. I also found that the Superhawk VTR1000F sprocket carrier can be used on the CBR600 wheel, and is skinnier like the VF500 sprocket carrier, and might be another option.

Also today I ordered an EBC Kevlar clutch from ebay, my All Balls Bearings showed up for the rear wheel and sprocket carrier conversion bearing, and I sent a payment to Nigel in the UK for another set of FZR400 Chain adjuster blocks to try and drill again.

+Quote Post
apsolus
post Feb 1 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 10291
Time Spent On Forums:
25d 7h 30m 3s

good luck. i hate fabricating but admire those who can do it. have fun

--------------------
have:
88 yamaha fzr 1000
87 honda super magna 700
08 yamaha star 250

had:
02 yamaha vstar 650
89 yamaha fzr 600
02 kawasaki ninja 600
83 yamaha midnight maxim 750
99 suzuki gz 250

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Feb 9 2012, 07:24 AM
Post #8

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

Got some more work done this week, put on the R6 forks and bolted on the subframe.

EBC Kevlar clutch came in, and my 2nd set of chain adjuster blocks I need to drill have showed up from the UK.

now I need to strip spyders old FZR frame and drop the motor out of it. Clean up and strip the wiring harness and start cutting off things I don't need.

Waiting on the R6 upper triple I just bought off ebay. Might order my Factory pro YZF jet kit soon, maybe their shift star package also not sure yet

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Feb 21 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

I haven't done a whole lot of "work" on the bike. Just little odds and ends. Got my Axle adjuster blocks drilled correctly and perfectly fit. Been mocking up some parts here and there.

took the motor out for a wash, and got it presentable. Just some purple power, brushes, and water.

+Quote Post
thatkid
post Feb 22 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #10

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 3567
Time Spent On Forums:
54d 8h 55m 6s

Nie progress. I had a though on the axle adjusters. Since they are getting harder to come by, why not have the screwed up ones welded up a little and then bored to the correct size as a spare set? Can't imagine it being too much.

Otherwise make sure to document the wheel swap. I'm pretty sure some people would be very happy to have a full writeup on how to get to a 17" wheel in back without swapping swingarms.

--------------------
www.greenmachinecustoms.com
Powder Coating~Fabrication~Welding

INSTALLED:
'92 FZR 600--'97 motor--Stage 3 Dynojet jet kit--2001 R6 tail w/subframe--2000 YZF tank--K&N twin pods--Cobra F1 Slipon--Flo-Commander--custom risers--Renthal bar--2002 R1 fork--R1 projections--ford coil pack--Veypor Unit--2006 R6 rear shock--R6 master cylinder and calipers--Earl's SS lines front and rear--Factory Detent Kit--Ducati hydraulic clutch with custom mount for slave cylinder--custom swinger--
IN THE WORKS:
Custom billet pegs and rearsets--custom midpipe--custom billet resevoirs--custom headlights--custom hugger--custom chain guard--

My Fighter Build

Talk to me about parts!
Supersprox - Vortex Racing - Lockhart Phillips - Spiegler Performance Parts - Ape Racing - TAW Industries - Antigravity Battery

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Feb 22 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #11

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

QUOTE (thatkid @ Feb 22 2012, 01:32 AM) *
Nie progress. I had a though on the axle adjusters. Since they are getting harder to come by, why not have the screwed up ones welded up a little and then bored to the correct size as a spare set? Can't imagine it being too much.

Otherwise make sure to document the wheel swap. I'm pretty sure some people would be very happy to have a full writeup on how to get to a 17" wheel in back without swapping swingarms.

We had a thought on the axle blocks too, but another direction. We were thinking to find out what the next size LARGER axle is that is popular, that way I could look into other newer maybe lighter wheels that use a larger axle. Maybe 22mm? Then have the block drilled bigger and make another setup for a larger axle.

I will definitely write what I use when I get the spacers finished. I know I'm going to be using a Honda Superhawk VTR1000f rear brake caliper, mount, and locator. It works out perfectly because I am putting a CBR900rr swingarm brace onto my Superhawk swingarm, and I have to use the CBR900 caliper mount and locator, so I had to cut the locator off anyway.

+Quote Post
newyorkredneck
post Feb 29 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #12

Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 12930
Time Spent On Forums:
0d 19h 59m 40s

Just saw this on the fzr mailing list and thought it might be helpful

The 600 and 400 pan will work. The main reason to use the FZR oil pan is
because the YZF motor sits more straight up in the YZF frame but when
mounted in the FZR frame it is slanted more forward. The oil will push to
the front of the pan and can lose oil pressure and toast the crank. Ask me
how I know.

I toasted 3 motors at Daytona before we figured out what was happening

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Mar 2 2012, 01:14 AM
Post #13

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

Got some good work done the past two days. Yesterday I took my swingarm/wheel setup to my friends and we took it to his dad's machine shop. He was able to grind down two of the spacers I had and get the wheel perfectly centered in the swingarm.

Then today I took it to my welder friends shop and we welded the rear brake stay onto the swingarm.

I'm using a Honda Superhawk VTR1000F rear brake caliper/mount. Because the CBR wheel is more narrow than the VTR wheel, I have a third wheel spacer between the brake caliper mount and the swingarm. This also means I had to step out the caliper mount stay so it could engage with the mount.

We welded a piece of aluminum angle to the back of the VTR stay I cut off the VTR swingarm. That gave us enough surface to keep the weld strong for the extension. I had to grind most of the angle off for fitment.

Then I held it in place and we tacked the mount on, and assembled it for test fit before final welding.

The top of the stay sunk in just slightly towards the swingarm when we tacked it, putting a small angle on the stay, but it wasn't binding the wheel adjustment so I left it, and we finished the welds.

I feel good getting that out of the way.. Going to blast and repaint the rear wheel and it's ready for a tire.

I also sanded and painted my engine cradle bars and subframe, pics later.

and while I had the swingarm and forks off the frame I took it to my friend Rich's for some polishing.

QUOTE (newyorkredneck @ Feb 29 2012, 10:45 PM) *
Just saw this on the fzr mailing list and thought it might be helpful

The 600 and 400 pan will work. The main reason to use the FZR oil pan is
because the YZF motor sits more straight up in the YZF frame but when
mounted in the FZR frame it is slanted more forward. The oil will push to
the front of the pan and can lose oil pressure and toast the crank. Ask me
how I know.

I toasted 3 motors at Daytona before we figured out what was happening

Thanks for the heads up, I had been reading about people needing to do a oil pan swap but it wasn't explained why exactly. That makes sense. Will do.

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Mar 8 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #14

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
17d 17h 42m 25s

Yesterday I picked up the frame, and my friend came over and helped me assemble most of it. We were working till around 2am, thank you Monster.

Started with this....

Ended with this.....

Special thanks for my friend Rich for putting in many hours frame polishing. He has a thing for polished aluminum. If anyone comes to some mid-atlantic WERA races you will meet him for sure.

Today I'm going to install the Factory Pro jet kit, put the carbs and exhaust on the bike, throw a battery in it and hopefully get it to fire up in it's new home. Just to make sure everything works and runs, then time to start cutting the harness apart.

Pretty sure my wiring harness has been completely stripped/hacked and re-electrical taped, so I don't have the original routing to go from, pretty much going to make it how I think it should be.

+Quote Post
BMiller
post Mar 8 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #15

That's right.....
Group Icon

Group: Admin

Member No.: 2463
Time Spent On Forums:
12d 11h 16m 4s

Very cool build! Good to see my old triples went from a life of stunting to a future life of track duty thumbup.gif

*edit* Actually you replaced that part didn't you? Something about the lower triple being bent?

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 01:36 PM