Post #16

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 13184
Time Spent On Forums:
18d 7h 29m 33s

QUOTE (BMiller @ Mar 8 2012, 04:53 PM) *
Very cool build! Good to see my old triples went from a life of stunting to a future life of track duty thumbup.gif

*edit* Actually you replaced that part didn't you? Something about the lower triple being bent?

haha, how were you a past owner of these parts? Did you sell them to spyder? Yea the bottom triple was bent, I'm guessing from when the stem was pressed in...but maybe countless stoppies had something to do with it. I put another one on and the forks lined up no problem and the wheel goes right in now.

Today I put my Factory Pro jet kit in, put the exhaust on for now, and started playing with the wiring harness. Cut most of the left controls and headlight/turn signal wires out. After a few hours staring at the harness and wiring diagram I had to call it quits for the night. Here's where I am now.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Mar 9 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #17

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
18d 7h 29m 33s

There has been other work also...

The lower two bolt threads for the peanut cover are broken off, as seen here;

So I had to repair that.. Put a generous amount of ultra black RTV on the cover, some Loctite weld onto the case where it was too low, put the cover on gently with the bolts that still had threads to grab. Then I threaded the two bottom screws into what was left of the threads. I painted some anti-seize onto the threads I could see, then covered it all with the Loctite weld. Hopefully if I ever need to get the cover off again the anti-seize will allow the bolts to come out of the Loctite Weld.

Then I took the clutch cover off and discovered found some more fun.....The wrong bolts/washers were used on the clutch springs, and some springs were almost pushing past the washers that were too small!!! Then found some pieces had broken off the pressure plate, and there is some bad looking wear on the clutch basket and boss from all of the clutch popping...

I found a complete clutch setup on ebay for $50 so I have that on the way.

I have a growing pile of parts to go on, Factory Pro shift kit and Ignition advance, rear wave rotor showed up yesterday. Waiting on a few to arrive, Vortex clip ons, vortex front and rear sprockets, clutch basket, some others I can't remember.

time is ticking down fast, there is a trackday on March 25 gonna be tight I'm not sure I'll make it. A lot of things to figure out and a lot of fabricating still left to do.

I tried to put the rear tail on that I was told was used with this frame/subframe, and it doesn't seem to work at all...

back to wiring......

+Quote Post
jimraynor21
post Mar 9 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #18

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 10350
Time Spent On Forums:
25d 17h 20m 11s

QUOTE (Suprafreak13 @ Mar 9 2012, 10:28 AM) *
There has been other work also...

The lower two bolt threads for the peanut cover are broken off, as seen here;

So I had to repair that.. Put a generous amount of ultra black RTV on the cover, some Loctite weld onto the case where it was too low, put the cover on gently with the bolts that still had threads to grab. Then I threaded the two bottom screws into what was left of the threads. I painted some anti-seize onto the threads I could see, then covered it all with the Loctite weld. Hopefully if I ever need to get the cover off again the anti-seize will allow the bolts to come out of the Loctite Weld.

Then I took the clutch cover off and discovered found some more fun.....The wrong bolts/washers were used on the clutch springs, and some springs were almost pushing past the washers that were too small!!! Then found some pieces had broken off the pressure plate, and there is some bad looking wear on the clutch basket and boss from all of the clutch popping...

I found a complete clutch setup on ebay for $50 so I have that on the way.

I have a growing pile of parts to go on, Factory Pro shift kit and Ignition advance, rear wave rotor showed up yesterday. Waiting on a few to arrive, Vortex clip ons, vortex front and rear sprockets, clutch basket, some others I can't remember.

time is ticking down fast, there is a trackday on March 25 gonna be tight I'm not sure I'll make it. A lot of things to figure out and a lot of fabricating still left to do.

I tried to put the rear tail on that I was told was used with this frame/subframe, and it doesn't seem to work at all...

back to wiring......

I had a similiar issue on my starter side with the case, JB weld works miracles. Just make sure it doesnt get moist...they always let me slide but lectured me everytime I went through tech.

There's no way I'm making the first summit round with school, so as long as the weather looks OK I'm 99% gonna do a trackday at Summit on April 8th(it is easter sunday) if that appeals to you more than the 25th.

Look forward to seeing this beast in person.

+Quote Post
gkotlin
post Mar 10 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #19

Novice
Group Icon

Member No.: 9402
Time Spent On Forums:
0d 16h 50m 6s

That's coming along nicely.

I guess I'll have to do more reading on WERA classes. I'll be running an SV at WERA this season. I have a 400 with an 89' 600 motor. Mine has a '99 R1 front end. I adapted an SV 650 rear brake and rear wheel since the axle is the same diameter. I will probably look for a lighter setup in the future. I've also got a slight noise that I'm hoping is just a bad cam chain tensioner. I'm thinking some TZ bodywork would be best and it should be ready.

If you have any starting geometry numbers, let me know. With all these different components, I have no clue where things are at.

--------------------
Greg
STT Staff
CCS MW Ex #12

1989 FZR 400
2000 SV 650

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Mar 11 2012, 01:53 PM
Post #20

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
18d 7h 29m 33s

Wiring Harness possibly finished, I might have to extend two of the coil wires still.

When I did the harness cutting I only removed completely unnecessary things like the headlight and turnsignals, and a few other related wires. I left the harness as factory as I could, I wanted to do it without having to cut/solder extend any wires. I left the clutch/neutral safety system, neutral/oil lights, and I also retained both brake switches and the taillight wires, per WERA rules.

I'm sure I could have made the harness simpler and weigh a little less if I went completely through it and redesigned/rewired some of it, but I'm in time crunch mode and don't have time to play with these things right now. #1 goal is get things together and running, and finish the unknown fabrication I still have to do, then go back through and fine tune everything.

Here is how my first harness wrap ended up. The YZF harness positions all the electronics about where the gas tank needs to be, in front of the battery. I tried to find places for things but there is hardly any room around the FZR gas tank. Here's the first harness wrap.

Realizing things needed to move rearward more I unwrapped the harness and stretched the VR as far as I could to the rear, hoping to get everything behind the battery. I also rerouted the ignition wires from the front to the rear, thats the four bare wires coming off the back. harness wrap #2

Using the factory battery box and plastic undertail, I was able to get the starter solenoid, fusebox, and safety relay all behind the battery basically in their factory locations, but the TCI box cannot reach behind the battery.. The wires to the coil are just too short, and won't reach. Back to the drawing board.....

Here's the harness layout down the right side of the bike...pretty factory looking I think

The plan now may be to buy a smaller LiFePo cell battery, and put it sideways behind the tank, which will give room for the TCI box to mount. I will still need to extend the coil wires, I switched the coil positions and the wires reach to the right coils, but the #1 plug wire won't reach #1 plug!

I used an FZR600 coil mount, which was spaced a little too close together..cut off one mount and welded it on in the right position...

with some bending, cutting, and grinding I got the coils positioned nicely...the hard part was getting them in that general area to reach to wires, and be low enough to stay out of the way of the airbox..

Now I'm working on the airbox...YZF box doesn't work due to both sides hitting the frame at the front and rear, and the difference in motor angle.

I've read a lot about people cutting YZF airbox to fit, or making a hybrid box using both, but never seens someone try an FZR airbox with YZF carb boots.

We found months ago that an FZR airbox with rubber boots REMOVED fit right onto the YZF carbs, pretty tight too. Spacing is perfect. So it makes the most sense to widen the FZR airbox holes to fit the YZF airbox boots. I just did that now and it seems to work as planned.. *edit...FZR airbox holes are 2.175"(2 1/8"), YZF airbox holes are 2.375(2 3/8").I know the FZR airbox is smaller volume and that can have an effect on things, but I haven't researched that enough. What are possible downfalls to smaller airbox volume?? We have been thinking of ways to add some volume to it.

This post has been edited by Suprafreak13: Mar 11 2012, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_shift96_*
post Mar 11 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #21

Guests

Looks good. I too am fitting a YZF600 in the 400 and want to run/modify the stock YZF harness and take all the stuff I'm not using out. Want to also run total loss ignition. You're harness looks good

+Quote Post
Fizzer_Stfighter
post Mar 18 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #22

Heavyweight
Group Icon

Member No.: 13409
Time Spent On Forums:
8d 0h 40m 19s

What swingarm are you running on there, is it a stock fzr?
Looks great, im hoping to mske it out to summit at some point with jimraynor...if not maybe see you at beaver?
Subbed smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BMiller
post Mar 18 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #23

That's right.....
Group Icon

Group: Admin

Member No.: 2463
Time Spent On Forums:
12d 12h 14m 21s

QUOTE (Suprafreak13 @ Mar 9 2012, 02:01 AM) *
haha, how were you a past owner of these parts? Did you sell them to spyder? Yea the bottom triple was bent, I'm guessing from when the stem was pressed in...but maybe countless stoppies had something to do with it. I put another one on and the forks lined up no problem and the wheel goes right in now.

I sold that to Spyder back in like '05/6 I think. So yeah, it was the same one laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Mar 28 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #24

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
18d 7h 29m 33s

Have been making small progress on a lot of things, but haven't had too much to update on until today.

Waiting on the machine shop to finish my steering stem spacer for FZR stem/R6 triple clamps, and they are turning down a Honda Superhawk sprocket carrier so it will fit inside my swingarm..updates on those when they are finished. In the mean time trying to find the thinnest bearing that is 22mm I.D and 56mm O.D.

I was able to get some slack on the coil wires and didn't need to cut/extend one wire on my harness to make it work. The Ballistic Battery I ordered arrived this week so I was able to get the wiring harness finished up and all the electronic parts consolidated.

Here is the new battery;

The company is Ballistic Performance, it is the newest Lithium Iron Phosphate battery technology. I went with the small 4 cell version which is recommended for 600cc RACE bikes only, they recommend the 8 cell version for a 600cc road bike. As you can see it's super small compared to the stock battery. The awesome part is it only weighs in at 0.8 lbs!!!! compared to the stock battery at about 8lbs. Awesome $100 weight savings.

With the baby battery in place it freed up space in the battery box for the safety circuit relay, fuse box, and the starter solenoid. I made a groove in the battery box for the harness to come into then stacked the boxes next to the battery.

Was then able to get the final position for wiring and re tape everything up. Here is my final harness.

I'm pretty proud with the way that it turned out. Looks really factory and like it was meant to be, how I like my custom work to look.

QUOTE (Fizzer_Stfighter @ Mar 18 2012, 08:03 PM) *
What swingarm are you running on there, is it a stock fzr?
Looks great, im hoping to mske it out to summit at some point with jimraynor...if not maybe see you at beaver?
Subbed smile.gif

Yea that is a stock 1990 FZR400 swingarm. My friend polished it though. I haven't learned all my model codes yet so I don't know is it 1WG?

This post has been edited by Suprafreak13: Mar 29 2012, 07:39 AM

+Quote Post
Commander_Chaos
post Mar 29 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #25

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Sponsor

Member No.: 9166
Time Spent On Forums:
17d 15h 12m 15s

Donate to The FZR Archives, I did.

Are you going to be at the first round at summit point?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Mar 31 2012, 05:39 AM
Post #26

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
18d 7h 29m 33s

QUOTE (Commander_Chaos @ Mar 29 2012, 08:10 PM) *
Are you going to be at the first round at summit point?

I'm doing everything I can to be there. It's going to be tight. Waiting on two crucial parts from the machine shop to finish my front and and get the sprockets lined up. Hopefully they have them early next week, can get them finished and work on other things I haven't thought about yet like what I'm doing for a radiator. The 636 rad that came with a bike has no chance of fitting in the unmodified bodywork.

If things really fall into place I will try to make the trackday next sunday on the 8th. If not than I will fall back on the trackday on the 13th, just before the races.

Should be fun either way. Worse case I'll be riding sans bodywork ala the Q man

Allen do you have plans to race again this year? getting the itch aren't you?

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Apr 1 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #27

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
18d 7h 29m 33s

Some more progress

Swapping the oil pans

2001 YZF 600 Motor and oil pickup.

1992 FZR 600 Moto and oil pickup. Longer pickup with slight tilt.

Pickups side by side. FZR600 on left, YZF600 on right

Oil pans side by side. FZR600 on Left, YZF600 on Right

I'm making a drive to Delta PA tomorrow morning to get some parts I ordered a while ago from a friend, and hopefully get an oil pan gasket from him to finish up the oil pan.

I cut a rear seat mount off one of my FZR600 frames and welded it onto the FZR400 subframe.

Here is how the bike is sitting now with some of the body mocked up.

+Quote Post
Fizzer_Stfighter
post Apr 2 2012, 04:41 AM
Post #28

Heavyweight
Group Icon

Member No.: 13409
Time Spent On Forums:
8d 0h 40m 19s

Hey, fyi I have some airtech bodywork for sale...
http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?s...mp;#entry472747
Just throwing that out there

Does that oil pickup come right out...i didnt see any hardware mounts ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suprafreak13
post Apr 2 2012, 06:53 AM
Post #29

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
18d 7h 29m 33s

QUOTE (Fizzer_Stfighter @ Apr 2 2012, 06:41 AM) *
Hey, fyi I have some airtech bodywork for sale...
http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?s...mp;#entry472747
Just throwing that out there

Does that oil pickup come right out...i didnt see any hardware mounts ?

Thanks, if I buy any more body work it's going to be a one piece upper with attached sides and no headlight holes. Starting to realize how much money I'm throwing at this bike and trying to reel it in some.

For the pickup removal, each pickup has a screen attached(not shown in my pictures). There are 4 crimped spots where the screen holds onto the pickup, you have to carefully pry the 4 spots to pull the screen off, then there are 2 5mm hex bolts holding the pickup on from the bottom. Lots of red lock tight here also.

+Quote Post
Commander_Chaos
post Apr 2 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #30

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Sponsor

Member No.: 9166
Time Spent On Forums:
17d 15h 12m 15s

Donate to The FZR Archives, I did.

QUOTE (Suprafreak13 @ Mar 31 2012, 06:39 AM) *
Allen do you have plans to race again this year? getting the itch aren't you?

No racing this year. We'll see about next year. I have a bunch of track days paid for so I won't be rusty. I'm going to go to at least one WERA summit event as a spectator. Sounds like nobody's going to make the first one, so I'll likely do the next. BTW, sounds like Lance isn't racing in the first one, so a win could be waiting for you if you make it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 09:14 PM