Post #1

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Admin

Member No.: 8433
Time Spent On Forums:
142d 22h 42m 5s

Hey guys,

Just hoping to get some second opinions on these timing marks before I button the 600 back up. I seem to recall the marks being pretty much dead-on when pulling the cams on the 400 so I thought this was a little odd. I had some forsight and marked the chain and sprockets with a Sharpie before pulling them so I'm 99.99% sure the cams are in the same positions relative to eachother. Also, I managed to pull the flywheel off (with the help of a buddy) to check for an offset Woodruff key and the key is in fact stock. This is with the tensioner tightened down as well. Anyway, let me know what you all think if you have a moment.

Thanks!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_0447_copy.jpg ( 164.11K ) Number of downloads: 51
Attached File  IMG_0448_copy.jpg ( 232.84K ) Number of downloads: 57
Attached File  IMG_0449_copy.jpg ( 243.35K ) Number of downloads: 53

--------------------

www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 PARTS FOR SALE !!!

Current:

'92 FZR600 - white, red, and black, FZR400 3EN2 Deltabox swingarm, Micron exhaust, DJ Stage 1 jets & needles, FP needle jets, K&N filter w/ airbox, '06 - '07 R6 shock, RT springs & emulators, R6 front master cylinder, Galfer SS brake lines, YZF blue dot front calipers, Vortex / RK 520 conversion, YZF/R6 VR/R, Bridgestone BT-014s, Vortex swingarm spools, Zero Gravity windscreen

'90 FZR400 - Yamaha blue - D&D exhaust, Sharkskinz race body, DJ Stage 1 jets & needles, FP needle jets, FP shift kit, EBC clutch springs, Ohlins shock w/ Hyperco spring, RT springs & emulators, JEM Machine fork preload adjusters, RR adjustable dogbones, MK fork brace, Woodcraft clip-ons & rear sets, Galfer SS brake lines, Vortex / RK 520 conversion, YZF/R6 VR/R, Bridgestone BT-014s, Vortex swingarm spools, Zero Gravity windscreen

Future hybrid - Current inventory: '90 FZR400 frame, FZR400 3TJ Deltabox swingarm & wheel, YZF600 forks & wheel, '05 YZF600 motor, Penske shock, FZR600 3HE dual-lamp upper & lower bodywork, YZF600 tank, 1st Gen. R6 tail

Past:

'89 FZR600 - white, red, and blue, V&H SS exhaust, DJ jet kit, Zero Gravity windscreen
***sold in '91 :( ***
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Engineerrol
post May 11 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #2

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 9247
Time Spent On Forums:
23d 9h 1m 22s

Have you tried turning it a few times to see if it goes back to the right spot?

--------------------
Hey, I can put stuff here now!

1998 FZR600 EXUP
=K&N air filter
=Dynojet stage 1 kit
=V&H SS2R Full System
=Racetech forks and emulators
=R6 rear shock
=R6 front calipers
=R6 master cylinder
=Steel braided brake lines
=99-02 R6 tail
=Kickass rider

2002 ZX12R
=K&N Filters
=Full Muzzy's exhaust
=PC3USB
"What did I just let you buy?!" -My wife after I took her for a ride on it for the first time.

+Quote Post
fzrbrandon
post May 11 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #3

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
142d 22h 42m 5s

Yeah, I've turned a bunch of times mainly just to double-check my clearances. It is what it is I suppose. My gut tells me it'll be fine since moving either of the cams by one tooth will result in the marks being farther off than they are now. I'm in the middle of putting everything back together so here's to hoping for the best. biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting up! thumbup.gif

--------------------

www.fzrbrandon.com

Current:

'92 FZR600 - white, red, and black, FZR400 3EN2 Deltabox swingarm, Micron exhaust, DJ Stage 1 jets & needles, FP needle jets, K&N filter w/ airbox, '06 - '07 R6 shock, RT springs & emulators, R6 front master cylinder, Galfer SS brake lines, YZF blue dot front calipers, Vortex / RK 520 conversion, YZF/R6 VR/R, Bridgestone BT-014s, Vortex swingarm spools, Zero Gravity windscreen

'90 FZR400 - Yamaha blue - D&D exhaust, Sharkskinz race body, DJ Stage 1 jets & needles, FP needle jets, FP shift kit, EBC clutch springs, Ohlins shock w/ Hyperco spring, RT springs & emulators, JEM Machine fork preload adjusters, RR adjustable dogbones, MK fork brace, Woodcraft clip-ons & rear sets, Galfer SS brake lines, Vortex / RK 520 conversion, YZF/R6 VR/R, Bridgestone BT-014s, Vortex swingarm spools, Zero Gravity windscreen

Future hybrid - Current inventory: '90 FZR400 frame, FZR400 3TJ Deltabox swingarm & wheel, YZF600 forks & wheel, '05 YZF600 motor, Penske shock, FZR600 3HE dual-lamp upper & lower bodywork, YZF600 tank, 1st Gen. R6 tail

Past:

'89 FZR600 - white, red, and blue, V&H SS exhaust, DJ jet kit, Zero Gravity windscreen

+Quote Post
rotortech
post May 12 2011, 03:45 AM
Post #4

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 10559
Time Spent On Forums:
94d 13h 40m 22s

Brandon,

You do sweat the small stuff. biggrin.gif Put it together. That is closer than the YZF engine that I put together. Sorry, no pictures. I used the same reasoning - any other position just put it further off the mark. I put the cams in a couple different times and then decided that the marks were in the right neighborhood.

You may proceed to the next level.

--------------------
Read this first then ask questions:
CPR for the FZR

Rotortech
Indianapolis

1994 Yamaha FZR 600 Purchased as project bike Jan 2010
Finished 10 July 2010 My Build Thread with pictures here.

+Quote Post
Engineerrol
post May 12 2011, 07:36 AM
Post #5

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 9247
Time Spent On Forums:
23d 9h 1m 22s

In an effort to make you second guess yourself even more, I'm pretty sure my alignment marks lined up perfectly when I swapped the head on my motor.

Although, as you've said, I'm sure it's fine. You'll find out one way or another soon enough! tongue.gif

--------------------
Hey, I can put stuff here now!

1998 FZR600 EXUP
=K&N air filter
=Dynojet stage 1 kit
=V&H SS2R Full System
=Racetech forks and emulators
=R6 rear shock
=R6 front calipers
=R6 master cylinder
=Steel braided brake lines
=99-02 R6 tail
=Kickass rider

2002 ZX12R
=K&N Filters
=Full Muzzy's exhaust
=PC3USB
"What did I just let you buy?!" -My wife after I took her for a ride on it for the first time.

+Quote Post
fzrbrandon
post May 12 2011, 08:40 AM
Post #6

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
142d 22h 42m 5s

QUOTE (rotortech @ May 12 2011, 02:45 AM) *
Brandon,

You do sweat the small stuff. biggrin.gif Put it together. That is closer than the YZF engine that I put together. Sorry, no pictures. I used the same reasoning - any other position just put it further off the mark. I put the cams in a couple different times and then decided that the marks were in the right neighborhood.

You may proceed to the next level.

QUOTE (Engineerrol @ May 12 2011, 06:36 AM) *
In an effort to make you second guess yourself even more, I'm pretty sure my alignment marks lined up perfectly when I swapped the head on my motor.

Although, as you've said, I'm sure it's fine. You'll find out one way or another soon enough! tongue.gif

LOL! Well, all I have left to do is put water back in and get the carbs on (cleaned them again) so I'm think I'm past the point where it would NOT be too much trouble to pull them and try again. After thinking about it, I realized that slight wear in the sprockets could probably contribute to the marks not being exactly on. I know my 400 motor had a little over 1/3 the mileage on it so that could explain the better mark alignment.

We'll see what happens when I fire her up! biggrin.gif

Thanks for your input guys!

This post has been edited by fzrbrandon: May 12 2011, 08:40 AM

--------------------

www.fzrbrandon.com

Current:

Past:

+Quote Post
Cychotic
post May 12 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #7

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 10052
Time Spent On Forums:
57d 10h 29m 6s

In an effort to make you second guess yourself even more, I'm pretty sure my alignment marks lined up perfectly when I swapped the head on my motor

That's interesting you say that Errol, because that's the head off my old motor and when I adjusted the valve clearances I couldn't get the cam cap timing to line up exactly either: one was dead on (I think it was the exhaust side), and the other was just slightly off (less than 1 tooth).

Attached File  ExhaustCamCap.jpg ( 52.51K ) Number of downloads: 28
Attached File  IntakeCamCap.jpg ( 56.77K ) Number of downloads: 25

I ended up running it that way and it ran fine, until I had to swap out the motor due to the dreaded 2nd gear failure. sad.gif

--------------------
1997 FZR600
* Non-Exup
* Vance & Hines Powerpak
* K & N drop in filter, stock airbox
* Dynojet Needles, 118 Main, 52.5 Starter, 32.5 Pilot
* D&D 4-2-1 header
* Big ass mystery aftermarket can
* R1 Tail
* Manual Fan Switch
* Custom Paint
* 17" Rear Wheel
* Billet pegs

Sold!

New project:

2004 Suzuki GSXR600

+Quote Post
fzrbrandon
post May 12 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #8

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
142d 22h 42m 5s

Hmm... That's interesting Cychotic. Perhaps a different amount of wear on the crank sprocket could contribute to different alignments (since only the head was swapped to Errol's bike)? Also, the chain will wear a bit as well I suppose.

Anyway, if your bike ran fine with that alignment, mine will probably be fine.

--------------------

www.fzrbrandon.com

Current:

Past:

+Quote Post
apsolus
post May 12 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #9

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 10291
Time Spent On Forums:
25d 7h 30m 3s

brandon, while i dont doubt your bike is perfectly fine. i would have turned it over before i installed the carbs and what not........... just in case someting is wrong with the timing, you know just to conferm before all the parts go back on

--------------------
have:
88 yamaha fzr 1000
87 honda super magna 700
08 yamaha star 250

had:
02 yamaha vstar 650
89 yamaha fzr 600
02 kawasaki ninja 600
83 yamaha midnight maxim 750
99 suzuki gz 250

+Quote Post
fzrbrandon
post May 12 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #10

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
142d 22h 42m 5s

QUOTE (apsolus @ May 12 2011, 05:59 PM) *
brandon, while i dont doubt your bike is perfectly fine. i would have turned it over before i installed the carbs and what not........... just in case someting is wrong with the timing, you know just to conferm before all the parts go back on

Believe me, I turned the crank probably 20 complete revolutions while double-checking the valve lash. Nothing out of the ordinary. Besides, I think the cams would be farther away from the marks if there was an offset key installed so I'm sure it'll be fine.

--------------------

www.fzrbrandon.com

Current:

Past:

+Quote Post
Batman Panda
post May 13 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 13220
Time Spent On Forums:
1d 15h 44m 12s

Mine looked identical to yours brendan when i swapped the head a few months mack. had the help of a mechanic friend who said they almost never line up properly after theyve done as many miles as mine had (30k at the time i think). moving a tooth either way made it more out of line like yours, but he said as long as theyre both out on the same side and everything turns over smoothly then it shouldnt be a problem...

And in my case he was right, engine ran beautifully biggrin.gif

--------------------
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

+Quote Post
fzrbrandon
post May 13 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #12

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
142d 22h 42m 5s

QUOTE (Batman Panda @ May 13 2011, 03:04 PM) *
Mine looked identical to yours brendan when i swapped the head a few months mack. had the help of a mechanic friend who said they almost never line up properly after theyve done as many miles as mine had (30k at the time i think). moving a tooth either way made it more out of line like yours, but he said as long as theyre both out on the same side and everything turns over smoothly then it shouldnt be a problem...

And in my case he was right, engine ran beautifully biggrin.gif

Cool. That's what I'm hoping for. I'll probably try starting her up tomorrow.

--------------------

www.fzrbrandon.com

Current:

Past:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 01:26 PM