Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · FlashChat

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1990 FZR400 front rotor options?, I came, I searched, I found nothing.
Guest_poolshark411_*
post Feb 12 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Guests

My 1990 US-spec 400 is starting to produce some front-end shake under heavy braking, and I do believe mildly-warped rotors are the culprit. I've considering "floating" them ala the FAQs section, but I'm not sure if that'll save them.

Before I maim my current rotors, what kind of options do I have as far as replacement? I've read that 1990 rotors are significantly different from 88-89 2-piston models, and I've been having trouble tracking down 1990-specific pieces. Is there a rotor from a newer model bike that'll bolt right up? 1990+ FZR600s, R6, etc?

Thanks very much.

Jason
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RoadDogma
post Feb 13 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #2

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Sponsor

Member No.: 6699
Time Spent On Forums:
42d 21h 49m 1s

Donate to The FZR Archives, I did.

I've got both an '89 and a '90 FZR400. The calipers are different, but the rotors look the same. FZR600 rotors will bolt to the 400 wheel, but I believe they are larger diameter and a different off-set. R6 is larger and has a different bolt pattern.

By the way, I do have a spare set of rotors (off the '90) if you need them.

This post has been edited by RoadDogma: Feb 13 2008, 12:20 AM

--------------------
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

FZR400RR (3TJ):Yeah, it's pink.

+Quote Post
Guest_poolshark411_*
post Feb 13 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (RoadDogma @ Feb 13 2008, 12:17 AM) *
I've got both an '89 and a '90 FZR400. The calipers are different, but the rotors look the same. FZR600 rotors will bolt to the 400 wheel, but I believe they are larger diameter and a different off-set. R6 is larger and has a different bolt pattern.

By the way, I do have a spare set of rotors (off the '90) if you need them.

Ah, I had a feeling interchanging rotors wouldn't be so easy.

RoadDogma, if you don't mind selling your '90 rotors, I'm definitely interested. PM me and we'll work something out.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
SubyRS
post Apr 18 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #4

Heavyweight
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 7681
Time Spent On Forums:
3d 14h 15m 56s

RoadDogma

I read that the 88/89 rotors and 90 rotors are the same diameter and bolt pattern (that's good), but just slightly different offset. Since you have both, could you do a little measuring so that everyone will know about interchangability?

The diameters and disc thickness can be measured on the bike, but the offset may be harder to get unless the rotor is removed.
If you lay both rotors outside face down on a flat surface (glass table, granite counter is best) you can use a depth gauge to measure the distance from the wheel side of the mounting flange to the flat surface. That would tell us which dirrection the offset is different.

The resulting two possibilites would be either adding spacers to, or machining the caliper mounts a few thousanths off to get the rotor to line up. I believe we can still get 1990 front rotors, but ALL 88/89's are gone.

--------------------

1989 Yamaha FZR400 W (99% done)

+Quote Post
crashoverridepli...
post Apr 18 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Wrench
Group Icon

Member No.: 4538
Time Spent On Forums:
0d 12h 29m 0s

90 models are larger than the 88-89. If I remember right 90's are 300 mm (88-89 are 280). I bought my prolites for my 400 across the pond from Demon Tweaks. Call Steve at Speedwerks, (302) 672-RACE (7223) or email him, [email protected] Tell him you are a board member. He'll hook you up.

+Quote Post
SubyRS
post Apr 18 2008, 02:41 PM
Post #6

Heavyweight
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
3d 14h 15m 56s

I have both the 88/89 and 90 only online shop manuals and they are all 282mm x 4mm front rotors. Offset is not listed. Everything I have found online says they are the same diameter. Do you have both rotor types also?

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoadDogma
post Apr 18 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
42d 21h 49m 1s

QUOTE (SubyRS @ Apr 18 2008, 01:41 PM) *
I have both the 88/89 and 90 only online shop manuals and they are all 282mm x 4mm front rotors. Offset is not listed. Everything I have found online says they are the same diameter. Do you have both rotor types also?

My observations agree. Poolshark got the one set that were pulled. I do still have a set of '88/'89s (on my street bike) and a set of '90's mounted to a spare front wheel. I can try to get some measurements soon.

This post has been edited by RoadDogma: Apr 18 2008, 03:07 PM

--------------------
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

+Quote Post
SubyRS
post Apr 18 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Heavyweight
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
3d 14h 15m 56s

You know what, I'm examining my rotors right now (PC is next to bike in garage;) and just looking at them there is no offset in the rotor at all. The discs are riveted dirrectly to the flat mounting flanges.

I don't think the 90's discs would be any different unless you can see some cupping in the mounting flange itself. If offset needed to change then the wheel is probably machined in or out a little.

It may be a dirrect bolt on even though the Yamaha part numbers are different. Really interested in what you find out.

This post has been edited by SubyRS: Apr 18 2008, 05:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoadDogma
post Apr 18 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #9

Wrench
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
42d 21h 49m 1s

QUOTE (SubyRS @ Apr 18 2008, 04:32 PM) *
You know what, I'm examining my rotors right now (PC is next to bike in garage;) and just looking at them there is no offset in the rotor at all. The discs are riveted dirrectly to the flat mounting flanges.

I don't think the 90's discs would be any different unless you can see some cupping in the mounting flange itself. If offset needed to change then the wheel is probably machined in or out a little.

It may be a dirrect bolt on even though the Yamaha part numbers are different. Really interested in what you find out.

The '90 rotors are "dished" in the hub area providing some off-set. Not sure about the wheels. Calipers and mounts are different. I'll get some numbers soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TrackdayMag
post Jun 18 2008, 03:53 AM
Post #10

Middleweight
Group Icon

Member No.: 8007
Time Spent On Forums:
4d 6h 51m 54s

The blades were the same diameter and thickness, but the carriers of the 1990 model have an offset built into them. Otherwise, all three years of USA spec rotor have the same diameter and bolt pattern. 1990 rotors must be used with 1990 calipers. 1988 and 89 rotors must be used with 1988 or 89 calipers.
If you can get the 1990 rotors, the first-gen R1/R6 calipers then become a bolt-on swap to the Fizzer forks. It's been a few years, but this is how I remember it.

+Quote Post
SubyRS
post Jun 18 2008, 07:30 AM
Post #11

Heavyweight
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
3d 14h 15m 56s

Well I've read that the lugs on the fork tubes are different between the 86 to 89 and the 90 year models. The two piston calipers will not bolt onto a 1990 fork tube, and vice-versa with the four piston units. Everything I've read says if you want to use 90 rotors, you have to swap out an entire 90 front end to go with them.

I am still searching for a way to get new brake rotors on my bike.

I can't find anyone that will re- surface mine like I used to, and I am trying to avoid paying Yamaha almost $1000 for three flat steel discs. Performance Machine used to do resurfacing for me, but these days they don't even want to talk to you for less than $2000. All of the Prolites are gone for the pre-90 FZRs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maccas
post Jun 18 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 7381
Time Spent On Forums:
0d 4h 24m 34s

i have a 1987 fzr400rsp and the forks it came with (non-standard) had the two-piston calipers fitted, i sourced some adjustable preload front forks and the lugs on these were wider apart, i believe the forks came from a fzr400rrsp 90< model, also my front wheel has the early disks with no offset, i have fitted 2003 r6 calipers and these require spacers because the offset is wrong, by the sounds of things if i get 90model disks they might fit without spacers, don't know if this will help anyone lol

maccas

+Quote Post
minusonefender
post Sep 2 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #13

Novice
Group Icon

Member No.: 7827
Time Spent On Forums:
1d 1h 18m 9s

QUOTE (SubyRS @ Jun 18 2008, 08:30 AM) *
Well I've read that the lugs on the fork tubes are different between the 86 to 89 and the 90 year models. The two piston calipers will not bolt onto a 1990 fork tube, and vice-versa with the four piston units. Everything I've read says if you want to use 90 rotors, you have to swap out an entire 90 front end to go with them.

All of the Prolites are gone for the pre-90 FZRs.

Don't know how late I am on this discussion, but if you are still trying to remedy your brake situation, here are a few thoughts:

Yes the 88-89 front rotors are the same 282mm diameter as the 1990. The difference, however is the offset. The 1990 have a 10mm offset as the 88-89 have none. The rear rotors are identical and will interchange respectively. Also the inner fork tubes are the same for all years plus FZR600's. The difference here are the lower tubes (what the caliper actually bolts to). You should still be able to retain your front end (for the most part) and just switch out the lowers if you want to run 1990 brakes (I have a few sets of these, which I'm sure several others may have, as well).

As far as the prolites, they are still available. I just fought this battle and won! I contacted EBC and they gave me a distributer's contact info. Since I have a motorcycle related internet business, they allowed me to be a dealer and can get the "discontinued" rotors from EBC (which happens to be across the street from them). I just ordered a set of front and rear rotors for my 1990 FZR400. They actually stocked them!

EBC did not actually discontinue ANY of their products. It's distributors that discontinued carrying or advertising them due to low sales.

If you still need rotors, I'd be happy to order them for you. I think retail is about $200ea front and $150 rear. I was blown away by the prices, but if you gotta have 'em, you gotta have 'em. I unsuccessfully tried to get mine resurfaced at the machine shops.

Hope that helps a bit,

rob g.

--------------------
[/center]

[center]

+Quote Post
SubyRS
post Sep 3 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #14

Heavyweight
Group Icon

Time Spent On Forums:
3d 14h 15m 56s

Thanks minusonefender, I got your message.

I had ordered a set of ProLites about three months ago from Bike Bandit. When they were delivered they were not a matched set for the fronts as pictured on this other topic.
http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=41122
Bike Bandit said sorry that's all there was left and asked me if I wanted to keep them with a 10% discount. rolleyes.gif

I could not find anyone in the USA that could get a complete set of "matched" discs for me. I did find a good scource in England that stocked all of the Prolites, but there was a tremendous UK tax percentage ($300 more) put on top of the already weak US dollar which made the set of three about $900.

I finally gave up on Prolites and ordered the $1000 per set OEM Yamaha discs which I have installed now. There will probably be plenty of takers for those Prolites though. The fronts were allot lighter than the Yamaha OEM discs. The rear Prolite was actually much heavier than the Yamaha part because it had so few holes in it.

The bike is all buttoned up now with only some cosmetic paint work to do.
http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=41765

When that is all done I will eventually buy a full set of aftermarket body work and do an official 80's Vance & Hines race replica flamed paint job on it. Not like the watered down FZR600 Limited Edition that was released with a couple of stripes.

This post has been edited by SubyRS: Sep 3 2008, 07:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RxRC
post Sep 3 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #15

Heavyweight
Group Icon

Member No.: 8084
Time Spent On Forums:
9d 10h 51m 35s

QUOTE (minusonefender @ Sep 3 2008, 12:55 AM) *
Don't know how late I am on this discussion, but if you are still trying to remedy your brake situation, here are a few thoughts:

EBC did not actually discontinue ANY of their products. It's distributors that discontinued carrying or advertising them due to low sales.

If you still need rotors, I'd be happy to order them for you. I think retail is about $200ea front and $150 rear. I was blown away by the prices, but if you gotta have 'em, you gotta have 'em. I unsuccessfully tried to get mine resurfaced at the machine shops.

Hope that helps a bit,

rob g.

Rob, first of all, awesome looking FZR!

I'm wondering about the price on the 1990 EBC rotors. What can you get them for?

Also, I'm wondering what the benefit of the EBC's would be. If they're lighter that's important to racers. If they are thinner and wear out quicker that's not so good for the street rider.

I've just priced the OEM rotors at the dealership.
fronts are $207 each.
rear is $150.

This post has been edited by RxRC: Sep 3 2008, 08:50 AM

--------------------

1990 FZR400 own
1990 FZR1000 sold
1991 FZR600 stolen

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 02:27 AM