Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · FlashChat

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 17" rear wheel conversion, What wheel fits
Guest_Vito_*
post Jan 28 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi, I need help, Ive just bought an fzr 750rr and want to bin the 18" rear hoop for a 17". What wheel will i use? I have been given a fazer 600 17" by 5.5" but its just a wheel and a 180/55r17 tyre. No disc, spocket and carrier or spindle. Will this fit. I have noticed that the internal bearing diameter is larger than the stock fzr spindle. Help Help. I dont want to go daft buying bits for this wheel if im pissing up the wrong path. I would use a complete rear end off a fzr 1000 ru if this fits?
I await your replys.

Rusty ph34r.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BlindRonin
post Jan 30 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #2

Amateur
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 7028
Time Spent On Forums:
0d 15h 33m 5s

You cannot get a tire larger than a 150 on a stock rear wheel without a little rubbing on the swing arm(correct me if im wrong).
If you want to run a tire that wide you need to find a larger swing arm and have it machined to fit.

Try searching the forum there are a few that have swapped out the rear wheel but im 99.9% sure you need a different swing arm to run a tire that wide.

Also know that adding a Wide rear tire will change the way the bike handles so be aware.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vito_*
post Jan 30 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #3

Guests

ive done the donkey work and know that the bike will handle differently but its a twichy we bugger anyway, putting larger rubber on the rear will make it more stable and help to slow things down a bit. the bike has been jacked at the rear to compensate this top a degree. all i want to know is, can you make an early fazer 17 by 5.5 rear wheel fit? and if not what is the best fit with out doing major modifacations. but thanks for your input.

rusty

+Quote Post
RoadDogma
post Jan 30 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Wrench
Group Icon

Group: Sponsor

Member No.: 6699
Time Spent On Forums:
42d 21h 29m 47s

Donate to The FZR Archives, I did.

QUOTE (Vito @ Jan 28 2008, 10:32 AM) *
Hi, I need help, Ive just bought an fzr 750rr and want to bin the 18" rear hoop for a 17". What wheel will i use? I have been given a fazer 600 17" by 5.5" but its just a wheel and a 180/55r17 tyre. No disc, spocket and carrier or spindle. Will this fit. I have noticed that the internal bearing diameter is larger than the stock fzr spindle. Help Help. I dont want to go daft buying bits for this wheel if im pissing up the wrong path. I would use a complete rear end off a fzr 1000 ru if this fits?
I await your replys.

Rusty ph34r.gif

A lot of FZR400/600 guys have had success with TZR250, FZR400RR, and GSXR750 wheels. Check out this LINK .

I'm not sure about FZR750, but the inner width of the FZR600 swinger is 230mm at the axle. All of the wheels mentioned above use larger diameter axles and require machine work (captive spacers, or drill out the swing arm). They also require some adjustments due to the extra width.

People have also had success by swapping in complete YZF (ThunderCat) rear ends. I chose the FZR400RR route (swinger and wheel). Sprocket carrier is the same, wheel is 17x4.5, and the swing arm offers additional width at 245mm with out the weight penalty of steel YZF600 swing arm.

Hope this helps and good luck.

This post has been edited by RoadDogma: Jan 30 2008, 05:48 PM

--------------------
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

FZR400RR (3TJ):Yeah, it's pink.

+Quote Post
Guest_ABS600FZRR_*
post Jan 31 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #5

Guests

I am putting a 02 R6 rim in a yzf600 swingarm...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 09:13 AM