> float height
k-dog
post Mar 12 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Novice
Group Icon

Group: Members

Member No.: 5392

How does everybody here set the float height? I used a graduated tube hooked to the nipple of each carb. With the carbs on a bench, I hung a small bottle in the air filled with gas. I opened the nipple on each carb to let the gas flow into the tube. The manual says to have the float height equal 3-4mm ABOVE the line scribed on the fuel bowl. I did all 4 carbs that way, put the carbs back in, and my bike starts harder then ever when warm. I found them all EVEN with the line on the bowl before I started. How do you do the ruler method?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
k-dog
post Mar 13 2007, 06:46 AM
Post #2

Novice
Group Icon

QUOTE (k-dog @ Mar 12 2007, 12:34 PM) *
How does everybody here set the float height? I used a graduated tube hooked to the nipple of each carb. With the carbs on a bench, I hung a small bottle in the air filled with gas. I opened the nipple on each carb to let the gas flow into the tube. The manual says to have the float height equal 3-4mm ABOVE the line scribed on the fuel bowl. I did all 4 carbs that way, put the carbs back in, and my bike starts harder then ever when warm. I found them all EVEN with the line on the bowl before I started. How do you do the ruler method?

+Quote Post
k-dog
post Mar 13 2007, 06:48 AM
Post #3

Novice
Group Icon

sorry for the double post. Can anybody elaborate on this for me please? K-dog

+Quote Post
modkingfzr600
post Mar 13 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #4

too busy to ride
Group Icon

Group: Sponsor

Member No.: 1296
Time Spent On Forums:
4d 8h 43m 21s

Donate to The FZR Archives, I did.

welllllll, are you SURE that the carbs were in the same position on the bench, as they would be on the bike ? are you're valves within spec ? do you have a strong spark on all cylinders? do you smell alot of fuel in the pipe when it will not start? do you smell NO fuel in the pipe when it won't start? also , when was he last time you checked compression on all cylinders?

--------------------
MY FZR'S LIFEfzr 400/600, 93 600 motor, 89 400 frame, 91 TZR 250 17" rear wheel, 91 TZR 250 front wheel , 88 japanese 400R 3EN swingarm, all polished, brembo hydraulic clutch, brembo front brake master cylinder, airtech tail, flo-commander, RK 520 chain & vortex sprockets, vance and hines SS header, factory pro 5 degree advance, DEVIL carbon fiber shotgun exhaust , braided stainless brake lines, factory pro stage 3 jet kit, twin k&n pods, zero gravity windscreen, LP carbon fiber mirrors, LP ultralight fairing stay, 8000k HID conversion kit, black PPG paint, custom exhaust bracket, re-foamed seat covered in leather, LP carbon fiber guage trim, ported and polished exhaust ports, rebuilt top-end on motor, barnett kevlar clutch kit, factory pro shift kit, fox twin clicker rear shock , CFM rearsets, factory pro nickel plated emulsion tubes, yzf600R radiator, ABM full floating front wave rotors. 2006 GSXR 1000 front forks, custom fiberglass tail with 03 R6 integrated tail light, DYNA high voltage ignition coils.

2000 R1 EXUP, akrapovic exhaust , hauls ass... nuff said. SOLD

2002 R6 R.I.P

1997 yamaha warrior 350 quad SOLD

honda SL70 dirtbike "VINTAGE " currently building.

+Quote Post
fuzzysimonfzr
post Mar 14 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #5

Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 3795

i think the way you did your adjustment require you to remove the float bowl every time you need to bend the tang. there is a very good write up on the Archive that allows you to do the adjustment while the bowls are removed...basically measuring the highest part of the floats to the top of the gasket body. Look it up and you will find save a ton of time. I did mine just 2 weeks ago, purrrrrrs like a cat.
if you bike was running before and not starting now when warm, chances are too much fuel going in.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 07:34 AM